Kinect for Windows SDK Programming Guide
- Building application using Kinect for Windows SDK.
- Covers the Kinect for Windows SDK v1.6
- A practical step-by-step tutorial to make learning easy for a beginner.
- A detailed discussion of all the APIs involved and the explanations of their usage in detail
- Procedures for developing motion-sensing applications and also methods used to enable speech recognition
What you will learn from this book
- Understand the Kinect sensor in terms of a device, different components, and how they work.
- Step by step installation guide of SDK, troubleshooting tips and development environment setup.
- Reading the Kinect device information, monitoring and notifying the sensor status change.
- Automatically adjust the sensor elevation angle
- Understand different approaches of capturing data stream from Kinect sensor.
- Learn the uses of color, depth and IR data and how to leverage them in your applications.
- Use skeleton-tracking for interactive applications and leveraging the applications to gesture-enabled application
- Understand usages of Microphone array and build speech-enabled applications with Speech API
- Develop applications using Multiple Kinects
- Understand how to design cross device application with Kinect
Kinect has been a game-changer in the world of motion games and applications since its first release. It has been touted as a controller for Microsoft Xbox but is much more than that. The developer version of Kinect, Kinect for Windows SDK, provides developers with the tools to develop applications that run on Windows. You can use this to develop applications that make interaction with your computer hands-free.
This book focuses on developing applications using the Kinect for Windows SDK. It is a complete end to end solution using different features of Kinect for Windows SDK with step by step guidance. The book will also help you develop motion sensitive and speech recognition enabled applications. You will also learn about building application using multiple Kinects.
The book begins with explaining the different components of Kinect and then moves into to the setting up the device and getting thedevelopment environment ready. You will be surprised at how quickly the book takes you through the details of Kinect APIs. You will use NUI to use the Kinect for Natural Inputs like skeleton tracking, sensing, speech recognizing.
You will capture different types of stream, and images, handle stream event, and capture frame. Kinect device contains a motorized tilt to control sensor angles, you will learn how to adjust it automatically. The last part of the book teaches you how to build application using multiple Kinects and discuss how Kinect can be used to integrate with other devices such as Windows Phone and microcontroller.
This book is a practical tutorial that explains different features of Kinect for Windows SDK by creating sample applications throughout the book
Who this book is for
The purpose of this book is to explain how to develop applications using the Kinect for Windows SDK. If you are a beginner and looking to start developing applications using the Kinect for Windows SDK, and if you want to build motion-sensing,speech-recognizing applications with Kinect, this book is for you.
This book uses C# and WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) in the examples, so you need to know the basics of C# and WPF. You should be familiar with the Visual Studio IDE as well. You don’t have to know anything about the Kinect for Windows SDK.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Understanding the Kinect Device
Chapter 2: Getting Started
Chapter 3: Starting to Build Kinect Applications
Chapter 4: Getting the Most out of Kinect Camera
Chapter 5: The Depth Data – Making Things Happen
Chapter 6: Human Skeleton Tracking
Chapter 7: Using Kinect’s Microphone Array
Chapter 8: Speech Recognition
Chapter 9: Building Gesture-controlled Applications
Chapter 10: Developing Applications Using Multiple Kinects
Chapter 11: Putting Things Together
Kinect for Windows SDK Programming Guide
- By: Abhijit Jana;
- Publisher: Packt Publishing
- Pub. Date: 12/26/2012
- Print ISBN-13: 978-1-849692-38-0
- Pages in Print Edition: 392
- File Size : 7.21 MB
- Format : PDF