Head First PHP & MySQL
If you’re ready to create web pages more complex than those you can build with HTML and CSS, Head First PHP & MySQL is the ultimate learning guide to building dynamic, database-driven websites using PHP and MySQL. Packed with real-world examples, this book teaches you all the essentials of server-side programming, from the fundamentals of PHP and MySQL coding to advanced topics such as form validation, session IDs, cookies, database queries and joins, file I/O operations, content management, and more.
Head First PHP & MySQL offers the same visually rich format that’s turned every title in the Head First series into a bestseller, with plenty of exercises, quizzes, puzzles, and other interactive features to help you retain what you’ve learned.
- Use PHP to transform static HTML pages into dynamic web sites
- Create and populate your own MySQL database tables, and work with data stored in files
- Perform sophisticated MySQL queries with joins, and refine your results with LIMIT and ORDER BY
- Protect your data from SQL injection attacks
- Use regular expressions to validate information on forms
- Dynamically display text based on session info and create images on the fly
- Pull syndicated data from other sites using PHP and XML
Throughout the book, you’ll build sophisticated examples — including a mailing list, a job board, and an online dating site — to help you learn how to harness the power of PHP and MySQL in a variety of contexts. If you’re ready to build a truly dynamic website, Head First PHP & MySQL is the ideal way to get going.
Table of Contents
1. It’s Alive: Add Life to Your Static Pages
2. How It Fits Together: Connecting to MySQL
3. Creating Your Own Data: Create and Populate a Database
4. Your Application on the Web: Realistic and Practical Applications
5. When a Database Just Isn’t Enough: Working With Data Stored in Files
6. Assume They’re All Out to Get You: Securing Your Application
7. Remember Me?: Building Personalized Web Apps
7.5. Sharing is Caring: Eliminate Duplicate Code
8. Harvesting Data: Control Your Data, Control Your World
9. Better Living Through Functions: String and Custom Functions
10. Rules for Replacement: Regular Expressions
11. Drawing Dynamic Graphics: Visualizing Your Data… and More!
12. Interfacing to the World: Syndication and Web Services
Head First PHP & MySQL
- By: Lynn Beighley; Michael Morrison
- Publisher: O’Reilly Media, Inc.
- Pub. Date: 12/22/2008
- Print ISBN-13: 978-0-596-00630-3
- Pages in Print Edition: 816
- Format : PDF